WILDSTRENGTH!

Read about my WILDSTRENGTH! program here.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Post Supanova News

Hi All,

About two weeks have passed since I attended Supanova Sydney and I'm yet to hear if IDW want to work with me. Hopefully, I'll hear something soon. I had a good portfolio review with Ted Adams, the CEO of IDW Publishing. He liked my work and encouraged me to keep going. I said I am interested in working on licensed brands but in order to do so, I need to represent them more accurately, for example, Godzilla has a specific look and the owners are keen to keep him looking that way. I can do that!

I'm currently inking my six page story for Decay Horror comic. I'll post the finished artwork here when the issue comes out. I'm also inking anther six pager for Ashcan starring my own character Stealthmode. I'm off to Bali for a two week family holiday on Monday so I think I'll be taking some inking with me so I can meet my deadlines!

Below are the cover images I did for my portfolio review based on some of the brands IDW publish. The TMNT cover I was inspired to do from seeing the TNMT In Time covers illustrated by David Peterson. The Dredd cover started off being a cover image for my Stealthmode story, but I liked the threatening angle of the pose so I changed it to Dredd. The Godzilla cover I did after seeing some images of him swimming under water. I thought he was so much more dynamic and graceful when swimming so I thought I'd capture this in the pose (I included the submarine to show his size).

In August I'll continue with pages for my Water War story. I plan to pencil six to eight more pages and use them as portfolio pieces to show Wolfgang Bylsma, the publisher of Gestalt Comics, who will be at Oz Comic Con Brisbane in September. I might even pitch the story as something he could publish under the Gestalt label. If not, I'll finish the remaining pages (until I reach the magical 20 page number) and ink it with a view to self-publishing and selling it at Supanova Gold Coast next year. I've decided being a professional illustrator and comic artist is what I want to do for the rest of my life so I'm here for the long haul. One day I'll crack the big time and my artwork will appear in a popular title and distributed around the world. Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment